30 Minute One Pot Baked Chicken & Rice
Another one pot dish, because sometimes it’s nice to make life easy for yourself!
I really do love my one pot dishes, the fact that you have less washing up to do and also when you’re cooking the hob isn’t filled with array of pots where you are going back and forth between each one.
This recipe is a family favourite because the flavours that you end up with are somewhat mind blowing believe me! The chicken is succulent and crispy, the rice is moist and fluffy bursting with all the flavours from the juices that drip down from the chicken, the herbs and spices used. It’s truly amazing.
All the ingredients used here are real foods, nothing processed so your body gets to extract all the good good from fresh vegetables, proteins and grains used.
I really hope you enjoy trying this recipe out. Please leave me your comments / feedback or any questions that you may have in the comment box below!
For the chicken:
- 6-8 Pieces of Chicken legs & thighs
- 1.5tsp Dijon mustard
- 2tsp Garlic granules
- 1tsp Rock salt
- 1.5tsp Smoked paprika
- 1tsp Chilli flakes
- 1tsp Black pepper
- 1tsp Dried Thyme
- 1tsp Dried oregano
- 1tsp Dried basil
For the rice;
- 450g Basmati & wild rice
- 1.5tsp Rock salt
- 2tsp Black pepper
- 1tsp Smoked paprika
- 1tsp Dried thyme
- 400g Red Kidney beans
- 250g sweetcorn
- 1 large red onion
- 1 Leak
- 1 Red pepper
- 4 Cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- Begin by cleaning the chicken, pat it dry with a kitchen towel then place onto a large mixing bowl ready to be seasoned.
- Season the chicken first with all the dry seasoning (salt, pepper & listed herbs). Massage the chicken thoroughly to make sure every piece has been well seasoned.
- Then add 1 and a half teaspoons of Dijon mustard and massage well into the chicken.
- Set aside and allow the chicken to marinade for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better.
- Now you can start preparing the vegetables that will go in with the rice. Start dicing the onions, leak, pepper and mince the garlic cloves and set aside.
- Drain and wash the red kidney beans and sweetcorn then set aside.
- After 30 minutes you can begin working on the chicken. You want to first lightly pan fry the chicken skin side down to ensure you get a nice and crispy skin at the end.
- In a large pan (same pan you will you to be the rice) add about a tablespoon of olive oil, wait until the oil is nice and hot then start adding the chicken pieces.
- Sear the lives of chicken on each side for 4-5 minutes until they are crispy (but not fully cooked) then take out of the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan that you fried the chicken add the onions, leak, garlic and red pepper. Lightly simmer these for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the red kidney beans and sweetcorn into the pan and mix well.
- Now season with veggies in the pan with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and dried thyme. Stir well and reduce the heat while you prep the rice.
- Wash 3-4 times until the water is clear then add to the pan.
- Add 1.5 cup of water, stir well then bring the chicken back and place each piece on top of the rice.
- Cover the pan and place in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minuets remove the over from the pan and place back into the oven at 200 degrees for another 10 minutes.
- After 30 minutes your rice should be soft and fluffy, the chicken should be moist but crispy.
- Serve with a choice of your salad and enjoy!